If you have a bluetooth GPS, turn it on before starting NavFunPro. Check that the bluetooth of your mobile is enabled.
When you start NavFunPro you will see the start-screen. Fill in the fields:
Now open the menu by pressing the button below menu. Here you see the following options:
- E-mail address: Your email address
- Nickname: Fill in a unique nickname
- Password: Fill in your preferred password, or leave it empty if you do not want to login and do online tracking.
- pincode: The pincode is used to protect your location data at the internet site. In the trial mode your pincode is always 0000.
That means that at the site www.trackthisout.com/tm.html
everybody can see your last track.
- License key: If you do not have a key you can leave it empty. In that case you have a 90 minute trial.
After that NavFunPro terminates and you can try another 90 minutes.
You can buy a valid license key here. Then you
can use NavFunPro unlimitedly, and you can set a pincode to protect your location-data. Besides you
review all your tracks of the past at www.trackthisout.com/tm.html. Those
tracks are protected by your password.
- Connect: This starts NavFunPro and connects you to the tracking server so that tracking is enabled. (If your password is left
empty no tracking is done.
- Most mobiles now ask permission to access the internet. If you have internet and want to work online
you give the mobile permission else you do not. In the latter case the application answers with
'All servers are down'. You can ignore this message. After that you get the message:
'Continue working offline' . Here you answer yes.
- The first time you start NavFunPro you will get a message: 'Location device not ready'.
After pressing 'ok' you can select a location device:
Choose ok to confirm your choice or choose cancel if you do not have a GPS.
- Default location device (JSR-179): Choose this option
if your mobile has got a built-in GPS device
- External bluetooth device: Choose this option if you have a GPS bluetooth device.
Note that some mobiles do not support Java applications like NavFunPro to access the bluetooth.
Those mobiles may close the application when you select this option. In that case restart NavFunPro
and cancel when you have to select a location device.
- No location device. Select this one if you have no GPS. YOu can still browse Maps, find restaurants, etc.
- When choosing one of the GPS location devices the mobile may again ask a permission question.
After that you enter the main screen.
- Work offline: This ensures that NavFunPro does not do internet access. This means that no tracking is done and no maps
are retrieved from the internet. However it may retreiev maps from your flash card. See section Retrieving maps from flash card for details.
- Settings: Here you can configure NavFunPro, select a location device, configure maps from flash card, etc.
See Section Settings screen
The main screen
- a: Compass
- b: Speed and direction in degrees
- c: GPS indicator. When there is a red cross in this icon the GPS is not ready yet.
- d: Online indicator. When there is a red cross in this icon you are not online and the track is not stored on the internet server.
Else it is stored and you can check your tracks at www.trackthisout.com/tm.html
- e: Point of interest. We have the following types:
- This is another buddy. Adding buddies, see Buddies
- A tourist point, see bullet i
- A wheather station, see bullet i
- A self-created waypoint, see bullet j
- An address, see bullet i
- A reverse address, see bullet i
- A business, see bullet i
- f: You. Location is only valid if you have GPS reception.
- g: Altitude and coordinates of you
- h: scale of map
- i or for touch screens: With this button or the button at the right you can popup the menu.
- Track me: Moves the center of the screen to your location
- Add buddy: Used to add a buddy, see Buddies
- Find: Here you can find new points of interest near the center of your map.
After finding the points are added to the map. See bullet 'e' for a list of possible points of interest.
- Load track from file: If your mobile supports a file system like a flash card you can put a GPX
track file on the file system. With this option you can read such a GPX file.
The track will be shown in green.
- Follow track: One you have loaded a GPX track file, use this option to follow the track.
In the compass you see the icon.
This icon indicates the direction you must go to follow the track.
In the map itself the next point of the track is indicated by .
When Follow track is enabled there are 2 extra options:
- Next point. Mark the next point of the track. This is usefull if you want
to skip a point.
- Previous point.
- Save track to file: The track you have made yourself can be saved to the file system.
In this way you can review your track on the PC using for example Google Earth.
This is also usefull when you have no internet connection on your mobile, because
then the tracks are not uploaded to www.trackthisout.com/tm.html.
A track is saved in the GPX file format.
- Reset my track. You can reset your track. All the track history is removed.
- Settings: See Settings screen
- Turn on speed camera detection for Europe, USA, Canada, Ta´wan and Brazil. When you are getting close to a speed cam you will hear an audio signal.
In the map the speed cam is indicated by the icon.
- Help: A help screen
- j: Move the map using the cursors. When you move to a
point of interest you can click the 'ok' button for more info and options.
When there is no point in the center, clicking the ok button will
define a new waypoint. This new waypoint you can give a name
and you can modify the coordinates of the new point, see Creating new waypoint.
Touch screen mobiles: Drag the map
by moving your finger over the screen. Click on a point of interest for more info. Click the menu button
to see more options for the point of interest. Double click on a point in the map to create a new waypoint,
see also see Creating new waypoint.
- k: Key '2' or for touch screens: Disable/enable compass, and other info windows on the screen
- l: Key '3' or for touch screens: Go to the next screen. The following screens are available:
- The main screen.
- The chat screen (only available when online)
- Buddy list (only available when online)
- Points of interest screen
- Altitude graph screen
- m: Key '9' or for touch screens: Go to the previous screen
- n: Key '1' or for touch screens: Zoom in
- o: Key '7' or for touch screens: Zoom out
- p: Indicates that speed cam detection is on. If there is a red cross through the icon, it means that speed cam detection
is temporarily not available because of internet problems.
Creating a waypoint
You can create a new waypoint by pressing ok (or double click for touch screens) on the main screen.
Then you get the screen as shown on the right.
In this screen you can change the name and coordinates of the waypoint. The intial coordinates
match with the location you pressed on the main screen.
- Change name: Click on the name and you can change the name
- Change coordinate: Move to one of the fields of a coordinate. Use the digit keys to change
the field or use the '*' or '#' key. On touch screens: Moving through the fields can be done
using the keys: and .
Points of interest
At the right you see an example of points of screen. Use the '3' or key several times to enter this screen.
In this screen you see all the points of
interest you have made. (You can make them by entering the find option of the menu in the main screen, see
In this screen you can delete or delete-all points of interest. You can also select a point of interest
and press ok. Now you go back to the main screen and the point fo interest is centered in the map.
Extra info about the point is shown in the top of the screen. If you press ok again (or for touch screens) you go to
a menu with the following options:
- Set as target (straight line): In this case you go back to the main screen.
In the compass you see the icon.
This icon indicates the direction you must go to meet the point of interest.
Right of the compass you also see the distance to the point of interest.
The point of interest is also marked with the icon.
- Set as target (Google directions): You go back to the main screen and in the top of the screen
you see 4 lines of directions to meet your point of interest. If you want to see
all lines directions press ok.
The google directions are displayed on top of the compass. If you want to switch between compass and
google directions use the '2' key or for touch screens.
- Details: More details about the point of interest (not always available)
- Projection: Create a new waypoint with a certain heading and distance from the current point of interest. Typically used for advanced geocaching.
On various screens it is possible to add buddies. Buddies are friends that use NavFunPro or Tracky (this
is a NavFunPro like program for the PDA, see Tracky).
If you want to add a buddy you need a nickname and pincode of that friend.
After that the buddy is added to your buddy list and you are added to his buddy list.
Using the key '3' or various times you can enter the chat screen (example see here at the right). Using the arrow down
you open a combobox and you can select the buddy to send a message to. After that you press on ok.
You can create a message by pressing ok again and type in the message.
Touch screens: Press the box at the top to open the combobox. Press the middle of the screen to send a message.
Using the key '3' or one more time you enter a screen where all your buddies are listed.
Here you can add and remove buddies. By selecting a buddy and pressing ok you go to the main screen
and the map is located so that you see you buddy in the center. Pressing ok again gives you
more info and options for a buddy in the same way as for points of interest, see options.
The settings screen is entered via the main screen, menu button (see menu).
There are a lot of settings so they are categorized:
- Display Settings
- Unit: Kilometres versus miles
- Cursor size: Small precise cursor or large cursor for better visibility but less detail
- Show dashboard: In the main screen you can also use the '2' key or for touch screens.
- Show dashboard configuration. You can configure your dashboard and
leave items away if they bother you.
- Show direction of contacts: With little arrows the 'directions your buddies are moving' are shown.
- Full screen: If you select yes all other parts of your mobile's screen are removed.
You see NavFunPro only. Use this option for small screens.
- Maps Settings
- Map type: If you want to save internet-data you
can select 'Raster'. In the main screen you see a blue raster,
but you still see you track, your points of interest, etc.
- Retrieve maps from: You can select whether your maps must be downloaded from the internet from a local flash card or
both. More details see See section Retrieving maps from flash card.
- Path of cache directory: If you want to retrieve maps from the flash card here you
can specify the directory.
- Maximum number of stored tiles: Decrease this value if NavFunPro crashes quickly.
Increase this value for more performance.
- Tracking Settings
- Tracking no tracking: Select here if you want to do 'Record routes'. Your routes are
uploaded to a server. They can be review/exported at www.trackthisout.com/tm.html.
You can also see your buddies and chat with them. 'Use own URL' is an advanced feature for users
that have their own tracking server. In the field below they can specify their server's URL.
- Own http request: The server address for advanced users having their own server address.
- Recording interval: The interval for uploading your location to the track-server.
Use a small value if you want very accurate tracks.
- number of points of track to show: This relates to the red track line that you see
in the main screen. If NavFunPro becomes slowly after a while
you may decrease this value. If you want to see your complete track
in the main screen you can increase this value to 9999.
- Select location device: More info see location device.
- Speed cam settings. You can configure:
- the volume and frequency of the audio warning signal.
- Whether speed cam detection is turned on at start up of the application
Retrieving maps from flash card
If your mobile has got a flash card, you can put google maps, earth or terrain files on your flash card
so that you can use NavFunPro without using internet all the time. This is much quicker and cheaper.
The following steps must be done:
- The first step is defining an area and the zoom level:
- Go to http://www.mapcacher.com (does not work correctly with Internet explorer, please use firefox or chrome)
- Now select the area that you want to put on your flash card, by clicking points on the map
- Select zoom levels. Check the following suggestions:
- For detailed maps for hiking choose Google Terrain Maps, zoom level 1..17. Note that this requies a lot of memory so limit the selected area. (Example: A detailed map of Paris (everything inside the periferique) takes about 3 Giga byte.)
- For detailed city navigation choose Google Road Maps, zoom level 1..16
- When you have selected a large area (for example whole France) take a zoom level 1..11 (this requires about 4 Gigabytes)
- Select Level of details: Fast and rough
- Press Generate and save the .map file on your harddisk
- The next step is downloading the actual maps
- Download and install gMapMaker.
- Start the program
- The Cache folder is where your map-images will be downloaded to. Create a new folder and select it as Cache folder.
- Check that Operating mode is 'MGMaps mode, download tiles using a .map file'
- Check that Hash size is 23
- Check that Tiles per file is 1
- Press 'Go...'
- Select the .map file you made earlier and press ok
- Now this tool will download the maps to your cache folder.
- The last step is copy the cache directory to your flash card, and configure NavFunPro
- Copy the cache folder to your flash card of your mobile.
- Start NavFunPro with the flash card inside your mobile.
- Press Settings
- Select 'Maps Settings'
- Select the correct Map type
- Select Retrieve Maps from : 'Flash card, else internet' or 'Flash card only'
- Now you see a folder browser. Use the arrow keys and ok key to select the cache folder.
This cache folder must contain a cache.conf file (see picture).
- Press menu and select 'Ok'
- Press menu and select 'Ok'
- Press menu and select 'Ok'
- Now you can start NavFunPro using 'Connect' or 'Work offline'
- Note that you can repeat the procedure and put a large area on your flash card together with a smaller detailed area.
- Some Mobiles may show security pop-ups when acessing the flash file system, bluetooth, or internet, click here to disable these popups.
back to top